In keeping with my theme this week talking about the person and deity of Jesus, I’d like to share with you another article, this one appearing on ThinkApologetics.com, called Why the Hypothesis that God Raised Jesus from the Dead is the Best Explanation. The author introduces his case with these remarks:
When it comes to the Christian faith, there is no doctrine more important than the resurrection of Jesus. Biblical faith is not simply centered in ethical and religious teachings. Instead, it is founded on the person and work of Jesus. If Jesus was not raised from the dead, we as His followers are still dead in our sins (1Cor.15:7). Explanations try to show how something happened. That is, what is the cause for something that has happened. So let’s take a look at if the bodily resurrection of Jesus as an adequate explanation for the following data:
He then makes the case in the following five points:
- The resurrection of Jesus explains God’s actions in history
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus explains the post-mortem appearances to the disciples.
- The resurrection of Jesus explains the conviction of the disciples in their proclamation of the resurrection of Jesus.
- The bodily resurrection explains the birth of early Christianity/the Messianic movement pre-70 AD.
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus explains Paul’s Christology.
See the full case in the article here: http://chab123.wordpress.com/2014/09/17/why-the-hypothesis-that-god-raised-jesus-from-the-dead-is-the-best-explanation-3/